National Infertility Awareness Week Starts April 19
“You are not alone.” It’s a simple message, but an important one for the many individuals struggling with infertility. April 19 marks the start of National Infertility Awareness Week and RESOLVE, The National Infertility Association, has chosen these powerful words to help spread the message to the infertility community that they are not alone - that there is hope, help, and support when it’s needed most.
- Infertility can affect anyone at any age, however there are often certain contributing factors. See the statistics below…
- Infertility impacts 1 in 8 couples of reproductive age.
- Infertility affects 12% of women (that’s 7.4 million worldwide).
- One third of infertility issues are considered “unexplained” infertility.
- One third of infertility issues are attributed to males.
- Up to 13% of female infertility is caused by cigarette smoking.
- The risk of miscarriage is much higher for women who smoke.
- Women between the ages of 20-24 have an 86% chance of conceiving after trying a year. As women age, this percentage gradually falls. Between the ages of 40 – 44, the chances decrease to 36%.
You are not alone. We can all do our part to help spread this powerful message during National Infertility Awareness Week and thereafter. Find a friend or be a friend to others battling infertility through local support groups. For information on how we can help at IVF Florida Reproductive Associates, please contact us. We are here to answer any questions you may have and to help you through this journey.