Coping with Infertility During the Holidays
The holiday season is upon us, but for some it won’t be as joyous due to an infertility diagnosis. The fertility doctors at IVF FLORIDA understand how difficult it is to attend parties and family functions, all while dealing with infertility. Below, we share tips to help you cope during this season.
- If there is a holiday event that you know will have people present that may ask questions about growing your family, etc., feel free to decline the invitation. If you feel obliged, make a quick appearance and attempt to avoid those who will make you feel uncomfortable.
- Have an answer prepared if someone asks about your plans for expanding your family. If you feel comfortable, you can let them know the situation, but it’s not necessary. Before the holidays, you and your partner should discuss what you will tell others, even if it’s a generic response.
- Make plans with your friends without kids if it is too painful to see children or pregnant women.
- Take a vacation away from the family functions if you simply can’t bare it.
- Volunteer in the community. This makes many people feel grateful for what they have. Either spend some time at soup kitchens or a retirement center.
- Don’t feel guilty about getting emotional. Whether at home or still at an event, take a breather away from everyone in the restroom to calm yourself down.
- Talk to someone. If you don’t feel you can talk to family or friends, call the RESOLVE helpline.
If you are struggling with infertility, our state of the art fertility center, IVF FLORIDA can help! Request an appointment today to expand your family in time for the next holiday season.