If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to conceive this year, IVF FLORIDA’s Dr. Barrionuevo can help! Below he shares a list of superfoods that could boost your fertility.
While we all know that diet and exercise help keep our bodies healthy, and healthy bodies are essential for achieving pregnancy, did you know that there are some foods that could help boost your fertility? Add some (or all) of these to your diet this year to potentially improve your changes:
- Flax seeds contain Omega 3 and 6, which help balance hormones. Add this to a fruit smoothie, or your morning bowl of cereal or oatmeal.
- Dark leafy greens contain folic acid, which can prevent birth defects and help keep eggs and sperm healthy. Add these to your salads or sandwiches.
- Carrots have beta-carotene, which studies suggest could increase sperm motility.
- Iron-rich foods. Women lose their iron reserves every month during menstruation, but iron is vital for ovulation and keeping eggs healthy. Try adding pumpkin seeds or oysters to your diet for an iron boost.
- Vitamin C not only helps you absorb iron, it can regulate the menstrual cycle for women and increase sperm count for men. Add kiwi and bell peppers to your diet if you don’t want to take a supplement.
On the other hand, there are some foods that you should consider omitting from your diet for optimal fertility.
- Trans fats can raise your LDL cholesterol and lower your HDL cholesterol, which could affect ovulation.
- Caffeine is a debated topic when it comes to its affects on fertility. Some believe that a lot of caffeine can interfere with implantation in the uterus, so it is best to limit your caffeinated beverage intake if possible, just to be on the safe side.
If you have adopted a healthy diet and still have trouble getting pregnant after six months of trying, please schedule a fertility consultation at IVF FLORIDA in Coral Gables, Pembroke Pines, Margate, Boca Raton, Wellington, Jupiter or Port St. Lucie.