5 Tips for Surviving the Holiday Season
The holidays can be stressful. And if this is your first holiday season going through fertility treatment, you may feel overwhelmed by the prospect of discussing your struggles with others. While you may feel comfortable sharing at times, the conversation can take a toll on your mental health. If you find yourself dreading an upcoming event or chats about your fertility struggles, here are some tips for dealing with it:
- Be selective with holiday events: If there is a holiday event that you know will have people present that may ask questions about growing your family, etc., feel free to decline the invitation. If you feel obliged, make an appearance and attempt to avoid those who will make you feel uncomfortable.
- Donate your time: Volunteering provides a sense of purpose, and research shows that it reduces stress and increases positive, relaxed feelings by releasing dopamine.
- Treat yourself: Whether it is preparing your favorite meal, going on an overnight trip, or just hanging out at home with your favorite people or pets, doing something for yourself can help bring a sense of joy to a stressful time.
- Find a support group: Attend an in-person or virtual support group. Being around others dealing with the same emotions can help you feel less isolated and brings light to different coping strategies and techniques.
- Take a digital break: Being digitally connected 24/7 can cause havoc on your well-being. Unplugging for a few hours allows you to be more present and also helps reduce stress.
The holidays can bring out many heightened emotions, especially when dealing with infertility and treatment. The IVF FLORIDA fertility team can provide you with compassionate care and support during this difficult time. Contact our office for more information or to schedule a consultation.